Business South Africa: Interesting State of the Nation Address Figures
- 100th – the anniversary of the birth of former President Nelson Rolihlahla Mandela.
- 57 million – South Africa’s diverse population.
- 3,2 million – work opportunities created by public employment programmes.
- 1 million – public servants employed by the State.
- 6 million – working South Africans whose earnings are expected to increase.
- 3,5 million – indigent households being supported by government’s free basic services programme.
- 17 million – social grants being paid each month, benefiting nearly a third of the population.
- 1 million – children in early childhood development facilities.
- 60,6% – matric pass rate in 2009.
- 75,1% – matric pass rate in 2017.
- 1 million – students enrolled in higher education in 2018.
- 500 000 – students enrolled in higher education in 1994.
- 39 500 – bursaries to be awarded by the Funza Lushaka Bursary Programme for Initial Teacher Education over the next three years.
- 1 million – internships to be created in the next three years.
- R350 000 – the gross combined annual income of households of first-year students benefiting from free higher education in 2018.
Economy and investment
- R57 billion – amount spent on locally produced goods.
- 30% – value of public procurement to be set aside to small, medium and micro enterprises, cooperatives, and township and rural enterprises.
- R1,5 billion – the value of the Small Business Fund established through the CEOs Initiative.
- 26 – countries whose markets will be combined by the free-trade area.
- 625 million – population of 26 countries whose markets will be combined by the free-trade area.
- 700 000 – direct jobs being sustained by tourism.
- 187 – schools in rural and underprivileged urban areas across the country completed under the Accelerated Schools Infrastructure Delivery Initiative programme.
- 2 million – additional people to be initiated on antiretroviral treatment by December 2020.