Sundowns trounce Congolese Giants AS Otoho in Pretoria

Sundowns (Photo: Sundowns FC).

Mamelodi Sundowns brought a ruthless 4-0 home performance against AS Otoho d’Oyo to overturn the 2-1 away loss and advance to the first round of the Total CAF Champions League 5-2 on aggregate.

The South African champions promised that the return leg at the Lucas Moripe Stadium in Pretoria was going to be different to the first leg where they conceded two goals and had captain Hlompho Kekana sent off. 

That promise came true when Sundowns scored four goals past their opponents from Congo within 36 minutes.

Uruguay midfielder Gaston Sirino produced a dazzling display to score two goals, one being a clinical penalty, with the second a stunning long range curler to beat the Otoho keeper Wolfrigon Ngobo. 

The other two goals came from Mosa Lebusa, who poked in a Sibusiso Vilakazi attempt that was headed for goal, and another from from Themba Zwane that went through the legs of the Ngobo and into the back of the net. 

This was a match that Sundowns were forced to win if they were going to move on to the next stage, and from their line that had Andile Jali replacing Hlompho Kekana, and Thapelo Morena pushing forward, Sundowns showed intent.

It was no surprise that Morena found himself with a scoring chance early one, but the versatile player fluffed his lines. 

Teboho Langerman, who started this game after being rested for Cape Town City in the league, got a glorious chance on the 11th minute and with just the keeper to beat, Langerman placed his shot against the post and out. 

But Sundowns continued pushing and were awarded a penalty in the 14th minute after Lebohang Maboe was brought down inside the box. Sirino smashed a stunning effort past the keeper, drawing Sundowns level on aggregate. 

Sundowns’ plans were dealt a blow when Thapelo Morena wobbled off with a groin injury, with Anele Ngcongca taking his place. 

The homers continued spraying the ball around, and were rewarded when a Vilakazi shot in the box went in the path of Lebusa, who provided a touch to guide it into the net and make it 3-2 for Sundowns on aggregate, and 2-0 on the night. 

Out of nowhere, Sirino received the ball approaching the box from the left hand side of the Sundowns pitch, and with just a deft turn, opted for a floated curler, which caught the Otoho keeper off his line and into the back of the net. 

Zwane would round off the 4-0 win, and 5-2 on aggregate to see Sundowns set up a first round clash against Cote d’Or of the Seychelles.


Coach Pitso Mosimane says he always knew that Sundowns would score goals. 

“I just could not say it before the match because it was going to motivate them. When we played in Congo, everything was against us, but here, we have our fans who create a lovely atmosphere,” Mosimane said. 

“We did what we had to do. We respected the Sundowns emblem and made sure that the team goes to the next round. We have achieved that. The resistance was not so good from the opponents, especially in the second half and we could have scored more goals,” the Sundowns coach added.